On this trip you’ll discover the captivating regions of Kinnaur and Spiti, two siblings among the many jewels adorning Himachal Pradesh’s crown. United by the rugged embrace of the mountains, yet distinct in their offerings, these valleys beckon intrepid travelers with promises of adventure, spirituality, and pristine natural beauty.
As this is a short trip, meant for those strapped for time, it is bound to be a bit hectic with long travel days.
Kinnaur and Spiti, though distinct in character, share a common thread—a sense of tranquility that can only be found in the embrace of the Himalayas.
- The apple belt of Himachal – Famous for Hatu Peak and Temple (2708 m)
- Local scenic beauty including wooden architecture, ancient temples & lovely meadows in Sangla
- Chitkul – Most famous as the last village on the old handstand – tibet route (3450 m)
- The Uninterrupted view of the Kinner Kailash peaks in Kalpa. (2960 m)
- Picturesque Nako Lake (3600 m)
- The perfectly well-preserved 593-year-old mummy at Gue (3200 m)
- Ancient monasteries with intricate murals at Tabo and Dhankar
- Highest motorable villages like Komic (4,587 m)
- Highest post office in the world at Hikkim (4,400 m)
- World’s highest bridge from sea level at Chicham (4,037 m)
- Fossil village at Langza (4,420 m)
- Breathtaking hikes to Dhankar Lake (4,140 m) and Chandrataal Lake (4,250 m)
- The high altitude Kunzum pass (4,551 m)
- Highest single-tube tunnel above 10,000 feet – Atal Tunnel (3,048 m)
|Day||Day Plan||Travel Time|
|Day 1||Shimla to Sangla via Hatu Peak, Temple, Narkanda, Rampur||7-8 hrs|
|Day 2||Sangla to Kalpa via Rakcham & Chitkul||2-3 hrs|
|Day 3||Kalpa to Tabo via Khab, Nako & Gue||6-7 hrs|
|Day 4||Tabo to Kaza via Pin Valley (Mudh, Khungri) and Dhankar (optional - hike to Dhankar Lake)||5-6 hrs|
|Day 5||Kaza to Kye, Khibber, Chicham bridge, Langza, Hikkim Post Office, Komic & back||5-6 hrs|
|Day 6||Kaza to Manali via Kunzum Pass, Chandrataal Lake and Atal Tunnel||9-10 hrs|
|Add 1 day to this plan for Chandratal Stay|
Your trip includes:
Your trip excludes:
As this is a cold desert, the weather varies throughout the day.
Here is the ultimate packing list for your Spiti trip.
Take the morning easy and walk through Kaza village if you are feeling up to it. After breakfast we shall head to Kye Monastery and Khibber Village. Kye monastery is on top of a mountain overlooking the Spiti valley and a huge river bed. It is also the main learning centre for Lamas following the Geluk sect of Buddhism. Kye houses approximately 100 odd monks. We shall climb a little further and visit Khibber Village- which was once the world’s highest village. A short hike or car ride from Khibber is Chicham bridge which is known to be the highest bridge above sea level in Asia.
Next stop for the day is Langza, Langza at 4300 meters is famous for its fossils and the statue of Buddha overlooking the mountain ranges. Have lunch in Langza before heading to your next stop, Hikkim. Hikkim has the highest post office in the world. Visit the post office and revive the art of writing again by sending out some postcards to your loved ones. Your last stop for the day is Komic village, one of the highest motorable villages in the world. The village is also home to the Sakya Tangyud monastery. If you are visiting Komic, this monastery is worth the visit. Head back to Kaza for an evening coffee at one of the many cafes.